Thursday, December 08, 2011

Last Day of Fall Semester

Photo credit: Lettie6@Photobucket
Today has perhaps been the most touching day since the fall semester started back in September. Last year, first year of University, I didn't really enjoy it much since I went through much of a cultural shock. This year was different. I set new goals and new plans and went a different route. Let's just say I am quite glad I chose to do this because without this decision, I wouldn't have met such an amazing professor. I will not mention her name. but will only refer to her as Dr. P.

I only chose Sociology so that I could get a high GPA and that it transfers to the University I am applying to, since I want to switch to the nursing program there. I didn't expect very much of this class. The goals I had in mind at the very beginning were simple. Study. Do good. Get a good GPA. Done. However, after the first two weeks of Sociology, I began to fall in love with the class as my professor made it the best class of my whole semester.

Dr. P is a very different professor. She doesn't quite act like the usual professor. Rather, she treats her students like friends, engaging them in great group discussions and introduces them to new ideas and critical ways of thinking. She has great humor! Even though every Tuesday and Thursday, since the start of the semester, I would have to go from 8 AM morning class all the way to 5pm, sociology (even though it was late) was a class I never wanted to miss.

Today, our last class ended off with a very touching wrap up speech by Dr. P.
I will never forget what she said: "Go on and pursue the dream you have, I really hope all you do achieve them, it is okay to know your limits--don't be ashamed if you didn't achieve them when you have tried your best", "when the curve ball comes and hits you, get back up and go back on the treadmill!" She ended off with tears in her eyes.

Last year, when I was in the nursing program at the university I am in right now, I wasn't having a very good year, I didn't meet very nice professors. Hearing Dr. P say that I felt deeply touched, it seemed like she knew what we as students were going through. All the stress and disappointments and high expectations. Dr. P will always be one of the professors I will remember nad forever respect. Thank you ,Dr. P, you are an amazing woman, teacher, and nurse!

Good luck to all who have finals coming up!
Little Stars