Thursday, June 07, 2012

Japanese Cuisine Exploration


Toro Sushi
I am a big fan of food... I love going around the city and trying out various types of food with friends. This post, I will be introducing a newly opened Japanese Restaurant that is close to my church. The restaurant is called Daruma. Before the owners of Daruma came, the previous Japanese Restaurant that was at the same spot was also one of my favorites, but the family that owned the previous one  (aka Sushi Hibiki) decided to close down their business and move back to Japan or something like that.

Chirashi (Various sashimi on top of vinegar rice)
So, yes, when I found out it would be closed down I was really sad and worried that I wouldn't be able to try out the "family style" Japanese Cuisine again.

Luckily, 3 weeks after the closure of Sushi Hibiki, Daruma opened. And to my surprise, Daruma is also a family owned business, allowing me to once again taste the "family style" cuisine.
Takoyaki

My Friend and I didn't order very much as we just wanted to try out their menu first. The first thing we ordered was Toro Sushi. Since we're both girls, the small portion was okay for us, I liked that the sushi rice wasn't dominated by the vinegar taste.Well balanced!      

The next item we ordered was Takoyaki. I have only seen Takoyaki in anime or Japanese films. I never really actually tried the fried octopus snack until my visit to Daruma. I instantly fell in love with this awesome snack. The chef made it extremely appealing to the eyes by including thin dried bonito fish flakes that would move around/ giggle on top of the freshly made Takoyaki. It was at the same time tasty and super cute!!

The last dish we ordered was Chrashi Sushi. I've had Chirashi back when Sushi Hibiki was there, so I wanted to try out Daruma's style of the same dish. I was really glad that Chirashi included lemon slices for us to squeeze the juice on top of the sashimi pieces to enhance the fresh taste of the seafood. I don't recall Sushi Hibiki having that, so when I saw the lemon slices, I was pretty surprised. I am not sure if any of you have been to sushi restaurants that don't really keep their standards of freshness and you end up having "warm" sashimi etc. To me, that is really gross. I was really happy and glad that Daruma kept their fish cool and fresh making my dinner experience so much more enjoyable. I didn't have to worry about eating something that didn't appear fresh.

To conclude: I really enjoyed my experience at Daruma! The decorations and layout of the restaurant did not change very much, so it still had that "small sushi shop" feel to it. The small layout definitely made the eating experience a little more fun!

Thanks for visiting!
Little Stars